Pages

Wednesday 4 November 2015

The American Who Become Scotland’s Premier Tattoo Artist

PAUL Slifer decided to take a voyage to the world after leaving Massachusetts 19 years ago, however, he quickly fell in love with Edinburgh and opened Red, Hot and Blue Tattoo. Cover his entire journey with us!
Paul Slifer - The Premier American-Scottish Tattoo Artist

I firmly believe tattooing is a craft and not art. It takes a certain level of skill to produce a tattoo that has the hallmarks of a well-executed tattoo; these being clean, sharp lines, smooth shading, and solid, saturated color. I'm not putting any ideas of my own into the work. I'm not trying to convey a part of my soul into the tattoo! I think that's the difference between art and craft. The crafts person works with their hands and head while the artist works with their hands, head and try's to communicate a personal message to the viewer. Tattooing doesn't work like that. Someone comes into my shop, says they want a dragon for example, and I give them the dragon they want, in the colors they want. I'm not going to tattoo an expression of the refuge crisis in Syria on them because I've decided I'm an artist!” says Paul Slifer - one of the most successful American Tattoo Artist working in Scotland.
You might be wondering, how an American can be a tattoo artist in Scotland? Here’s his story.

The Making Of A Tattoo Legend

PAUL Slifer runs his tattoo business in a shop called Red, Hot and Blue Tattoo on Brougham Place, Edinburgh. He is originally from Massachusetts in the U.S.A.
Slifer was an evolving tattoo artist who worked in Providence, Rhode Island in 1997. At this time, he decided to travel to the UK with the purpose of working for three months and then heading back to the Continent to experience more countries.
Hence, he started his journey in Scotland – Edinburgh. It was also the place where he met his future wife not long after arriving and he never left. About the meeting, Slifer that the in the beginning h felt like it was a fateful meeting to put an end to the idea that he would be a rambling tattooist traveling the globe. However, soon he realized that he has landed where he belongs.

Slifer and a number of other tattooists have been working at Red, Hot and Blue Tattoo, at their trade and building on a reputation for quality craftsmanship and beautiful work. Slifer has recently written a children’s book entitled “A is for Anchor” which teaches the Alphabet in letters using the tattooist style to demonstrate it.
Married to Clare and father of two beautiful daughters, an architect and a part-time teacher at Edinburgh University and Napier University, Scotland today caught up Paul at his home in Edinburgh.

When asked about how the changes have taken place since settling in Scotland 19 years ago, Slifer says,

When I first arrived here 18 years ago, I (in my ignorance) viewed Scotland as more of a province of the UK rather than its own country. I know people from elsewhere in the United Kingdom have those sentiments as well, but as my time here went on my idea of Scotland changed. It's a country with its own language, customs and shared values. I can't forget to mention food and drink as well. I am now an avid porridge eater, (cooked in water and salt only!) and have been known to appreciate a single-malt on occasion.
Coming from the States, one of the things that I really like about Scotland is this idea that we're all in this together. I heard a saying when I first moved here "that we're all Jock Tamson's bairns". I love that and it's probably the thing I like most about Scottish people. 
I think that Massachusetts, where I am from, and the USA could do well to embrace some of those values.

No comments:

Post a Comment